Can I sue AT&T and the authorized dealer for reporting false information on my credit report?

Asked about 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

I purchased a phone from a AT&T authorized dealer. I returned it within the 30 day period with no penalty. The dealer failed to update my return causing AT&T to believe that I still owed money. AT&T reported this to the credit agencies and it has been damaging my credit since. I have original purchase and return reciepts. The dealer and AT&T both admit to there wrong doing. Can I sue and for how much?

It's been on my credit for two years

1. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

Answered . No. don't bother. this is a dead end. write to the credit reporting agency and tell them your story. Make them take it off. Federal law requires that it be removed.

2. Pamela Koslyn

1

Answered . Get your free credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com. See if this debt is actually on the credit report. If it is, then dispute the error to them, submitting your return receipt and any evidence you have of their admission. Follow the instructions for disputing an entry at the end of the report, and make sure to keep copies of everything you submit, and send it via certified mail. AT&T will have 30 days to confirm the debt, or it will be automatically removed form each of the 3 credit bureaus.

Once the error is corrected, you have no damages, and no need to sue anyone.