Can I sue AT&T and the authorized dealer for reporting false information on my credit report?

Asked over 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

I purchased a phone from a AT&T authorized dealer. I returned it within the 30 day period with no penalty. The dealer failed to update my return causing AT&T to believe that I still owed money. AT&T reported this to the credit agencies and it has been damaging my credit since. I have original purchase and return reciepts. The dealer and AT&T both admit to there wrong doing. Can I sue and for how much?

Additional information

It's been on my credit for two years

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Howard Robert Roitman

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . No. don't bother. this is a dead end. write to the credit reporting agency and tell them your story. Make them take it off. Federal law requires that it be removed.

    The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing... more
  2. Pamela Koslyn

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Get your free credit report at See if this debt is actually on the credit report. If it is, then dispute the error to them, submitting your return receipt and any evidence you have of their admission. Follow the instructions for disputing an entry at the end of the report, and make sure to keep copies of everything you submit, and send it via certified mail. AT&T will have 30 days to confirm the debt, or it will be automatically removed form each of the 3 credit bureaus.

    Once the error is corrected, you have no damages, and no need to sue anyone.

    Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to... more

Related Topics

Business contracts

A contract is an agreement voluntarily entered into by two or more parties that is intended to create legal obligations between them.


Business law covers topics such as business structures, common documents, business taxes and finances, insurance, real estate, and government regulations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,126 answers this week

2,342 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,126 answers this week

2,342 attorneys answering