Can I sue AT&T and the authorized dealer for reporting false information on my credit report?

Las Vegas, NV |

I purchased a phone from a AT&T authorized dealer. I returned it within the 30 day period with no penalty. The dealer failed to update my return causing AT&T to believe that I still owed money. AT&T reported this to the credit agencies and it has been damaging my credit since. I have original purchase and return reciepts. The dealer and AT&T both admit to there wrong doing. Can I sue and for how much?

It's been on my credit for two years

Get your free credit report at See if this debt is actually on the credit report. If it is, then dispute the error to them, submitting your return receipt and any evidence you have of their admission. Follow the instructions for disputing an entry at the end of the report, and make sure to keep copies of everything you submit, and send it via certified mail. AT&T will have 30 days to confirm the debt, or it will be automatically removed form each of the 3 credit bureaus.

Once the error is corrected, you have no damages, and no need to sue anyone.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

No. don't bother. this is a dead end. write to the credit reporting agency and tell them your story. Make them take it off. Federal law requires that it be removed.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt