Skip to main content

Can I sue Apple Valley Tax for submitting my taxes with out me signing them.

Hesperia, CA |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

they also pit me and my boyfriend as married and I didn't know that . .

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Did you authorize them to e-file the return? If you authorized them to e-file, then you didn't need to also sign the return. Also, did you know that they listed you and your boyfriend as married before they filed the return, or not?

    Depending on what exactly happened, and how much you were aware of what was going on, you might be able to force them to pay to have your return amended - if you're not married you cannot file as married, so your return needs to be amended to change that - as well as forcing them to pay any penalties or interest you end up owing because of their actions. You won't be able to sue them for any additional tax you end up owing because that's the "fault" of the tax code, not them.

    My answer does not constitute legal advice and may not be relied upon by anyone for any purpose and does not constitute an attorney/client relationship or an offer to form such a relationship. This disclaimer is intended to be fully compliant with the requirements of Treasury Department Circular 230 and the terms thereof are fully incorporated by reference. If you wish to consult with me please contact me at dana@nytaxcounsel or visit my website at

  2. That depends on exactly what happened. If you authorized an electronic filing that would be considered your signature and you are responsible for the information on your return. Unless they deliberately filed an incorrect return your only recourse might be to have them file an amended return for you? You can call for a free consultation. 714-943-2336.

  3. I do agree with the earlier two attorneys. But here's another practical note about suing your tax preparer. Whenever you plan to file a legal claim (lawsuit) with any court, you need to have some sort of damages. They might be "actual" damages, where you can calculate the amount of money (or some other means to "make you whole". Or they may be "statutory" damages, where the applicable law has already determined what you should be compensated, again to make you whole.

    In your instance, there are no statutory damages. So you could only seek actual damages, determined by what costs have you incurred because of an unauthorized tax filing. In most cases, the only real damages you may have are the costs of legal advice, and fee for the Amended Tax Return. Those costs would be relatively small, especially if you just ask the original preparer, and he/she agrees to file the amended return for no charge.

    So ... maybe you just don't need to bother suing for this.

    Best to you, and please remember to indicate all "Best" or "Helpful" answers.

    Attorney J Anton Collins is a featured Criminal Tax Defense Attorney on Avvo. You may contact Attorney Collins directly at, or 866-340-5055, for more specific answers. This forum is merely for open, public discussion. Discussions in this open, online forum are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE NOTICE: IRS Circular 230 regulates written communications about federal tax matters between tax advisors and their clients. To the extent the preceding correspondence and/or any attachment is a written tax advice communication, it is not a full “covered opinion”. Accordingly, this advice is not intended and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the IRS regarding the transaction or matters discussed herein. Each taxpayer should seek advice from an independent tax advisor with respect to any Federal tax issues, transactions or matters addressed, discussed or referenced herein based upon his, her or its particular circumstances.

  4. Just submit your own paper return as single or head of household. You say "boyfriend" as if he is your current boyfriend. I think you would be kidding yourself to think your boyfriend didn't have something to do with it. But that is who they will want to talk to after you correct your return.

    Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    Tax Attorney
    Tax Attorney - Seattle
    Tax Attorney - Bellevue
    Tax Attorney - Everett
    Tax Attorney - Kent
    Innocent Spouse Relief Everett WA
    Seattle Business Tax Attorney
    IRS Tax Penalties Everett WA
    Back Tax Returns Everett WA
    IRS Tax Problem Help Everett WA
    Offer In Compromise Everett WA
    Payroll Tax Problem Seattle
    IRS Tax Audit Bellevue WA

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics