Can I sue another tenant for harassment. For several months, I am suffering from lack up sleep and anxiety - late night noise.

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Tenant stomps, thumps and thuds, loud talking and loud tv. We have met with the owner and management. We have called the cops. Problem persists. Now management does not want to assist me anymore. I contacted the Super after 10 pm and was told by a family member he was sleeping. I was left on my own to call the cops. This tenant, when seen in the lobby or outside of the building stares and glares at me. He also has a history of domestic violence in which the management was immediately notified the day after the incident. A mediation was done with the landlord who after I had made many phone calls to their office and police and emails, sided with the menancing tenant. I need help. I want to sue for the health issues this has caused and for other damages. I suspect a bias issue to

I think there is a bias issue here because of the way the owner sided with the tenant. Prior to the meeting, he was seen in the lobby fraternizing with the menacing tenant. The next day at the meeting, with a grin on his face, he told the tenant that he don't believe he was doing anything wrong.

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . You may seek a criminal court order of protection if the tenant is objectively harassing and endangering you. You may want to consult with an experienced landlord tenant lawyer to see if you can sue the landlord for jot providing you with the quiet enjoyment of your apartment. Suing the other tenant is an option, though it may be costly and time consuming.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

1

Answered . New York does not have a civil cause of action for harassment. I suggest you consult a landlord/tenant lawyer to see if you have a claim against the landlord for failing to enforce the warranty of habitability.

3. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

2

1

Answered . New York does have a civil cause of action for nuisance, but you're unlikely to find an attorney willing to pursue a case like this on a contingency basis.