Can I sue another person civilly for damages as a result of Child Endangerment?

Asked over 1 year ago - Southampton, PA

My son came to live with us in the summer, as I got primary custody after 6 years due to child abandonment by my ex. Over several months he was sneaking into his step sisters room at night, and was sexually assaulting her while she was asleep. He has been charged with indecent assault and plead guilty. Now I am finding out my ex knew of a similar incident over 1 year ago with his cousin. She never took it to CYS, or warned me. This could have been prevented. The DA is investigating the issue, but can I sue my ex in civil court? If the issue is proven true, what is the likelihood of her being criminally charged with child endangerment?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Patrick J. McMenamin Jr.

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You can sue anyone for almost anything. The question is whether or not the lawsuit would be successful and whether or not you would actually be able to recover any damages from her, not just secure a judgment. You really need to consult with an injury attorney to discuss the case in detail and to make an educated decision whether or not such a lawsuit is in your best interests as well as your daughter's best interest. Many of us have law practices that not only handle custody and family law matters, but also personal injury matters. I recommend you speak with an injury attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,259 answers this week

3,188 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,259 answers this week

3,188 attorneys answering