Skip to main content

Can I sue and ex-boyfriend over a broken lease?

Chico, CA |

My ex and I leased a duplex together. That we were both aware we could only afford together. My ex has since moved out without any notice, and has refused to pay anything towards the lease. Additionally refused to pay anything during the brief time that he was here after moving in. Can I sue over the amount that I have had to pay on his behalf? I am actively looking for a roommate to cover his portion of the lease. Can I hold him liable for the monies paid by me until a replacement is found?

Attorney Answers 1


Yes. You can sue him for breaching your agreement to each pay half. If damages are under $7500 it is a small claims suit. You are correct in trying to find new roommate as you have legl duty to mitigate your damages.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics