Skip to main content

Can i sue an ex roommate for taking my house and mail key and refusing to give it back?

White Lake, MI |

My roommate moved out about a week ago he took my house and mail key and put my mail on hold. Ive been trying to meet with him and get him to drop my keys off to me multiple times and he keeps refusing saying he wont give it back. i was just curious if i could take him to court.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Recommend you write him a letter (you'll see why later), send it certified mail ail RRR,. In the letter lay out your scenario--his thret of the key and refusal to return it. Mention that you may sue him for damages if he doesn't return the working keys within five days.

    After five days, request your LL change the locks and bill you. Then sue the roommate for the damages. The letter will serve as evidence of your good faith an dhis refusal

    You MAY or MAY not get the court to cover your costs, the roomate MAY or MAY not answer your letter, the LL MAy or MAY not change the locks for you. Lots of MAY or MAY NOTS, only you can decide if its worth all the effort--maybe in the long run, better to negotiate with the LL a lock change and chaulk it up as a good learning experience.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. Addressing your issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM providing you educational information NOT legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

  2. Short answer: Yes.

    Long answer: You can but it might not be worth it. What are your damages? Changing locks getting new keys?

    In any case, you should go to the Post Office and get your mail.. the PO should not hold mail addressed to you unless you have put in a valid change of address or request for hold. (Now if the roommate is related that might get tricky).

    Please note that I answered this question with general knowlege of the law and with limited disclosure from you, my answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and I cannot be held responsible for how you, the asker, use the information I provide. If you want to contact me directly and retain my services you may though my listing on this site.