Can I sue an ex co-worker for defaming, slander and emotional distress?

Asked about 1 year ago - Blaine, WA

I have his false claims in writing and he is also known to be a trouble maker. Also, I can show medical documentation on the impact his wrong doing has on me.

Pro

3

Answered . Know that defamation lawyers typically want $5,000.00 up front just to begin work, so unless you've sustained a significant monetary loss, you would likely pay thousands more than you recover, but it's your money.

2. Dave Hawkins

Pro

1

Answered . You can try, however, your chances of success are limited. To prove defamation, you must prove an economic loss because of the defamatory statement. Being known as a trouble maker has nothing to do with the law of defamation. To be successful, you would likely spend 15000 to 20000 prosecuting your case.

3. Andrew Daniel Myers

Answered . Emotional distress in the manner in which we all use that phrase in conversation and a legal claim for emotional distress damages are two very different things. The world is, quite unfortunately, full of trouble makers. That does not mean their conduct is worth legal action. Here's more on emotional distress: BLUE LINK BELOW