Can I sue an ex co-worker for defaming, slander and emotional distress?

Blaine, WA |

I have his false claims in writing and he is also known to be a trouble maker. Also, I can show medical documentation on the impact his wrong doing has on me.

Know that defamation lawyers typically want $5,000.00 up front just to begin work, so unless you've sustained a significant monetary loss, you would likely pay thousands more than you recover, but it's your money.

You can try, however, your chances of success are limited. To prove defamation, you must prove an economic loss because of the defamatory statement. Being known as a trouble maker has nothing to do with the law of defamation. To be successful, you would likely spend 15000 to 20000 prosecuting your case.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements

Emotional distress in the manner in which we all use that phrase in conversation and a legal claim for emotional distress damages are two very different things. The world is, quite unfortunately, full of trouble makers. That does not mean their conduct is worth legal action. Here's more on emotional distress: BLUE LINK BELOW

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.