Can I sue an employer for wrongful termination while pregnant?

Asked about 3 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

I was fired for my employer while pregnant. I was in and out of the hospital for a pregnancy related illness, with documented proof. My supervisor came to me and said it is understood as long as I have proper documentation I would be fine. Couple weeks later. I was fired because the supervisor thought I forged a doctors note, which was later on proven to be legit, and advised that she didn't know I was pregnant or sick.

Keep in fact she's made some bad comments about me being pregnant.

I even gave permission to call the doctor to verify to which she stated "That is not her job" and she stated that to the Department of Labor to which later on she retracted her statement, but the Department of Labor had the message recorded.

Can I sue for stress and loss of work/wrongful termination?

She also asked me to then become a part-time worker to which I refused and stated "The company doesn't care about your pregnancy, their interest is making money, and if your not on board, you need to go"

Even though I was one of their best workers.

It is believed I was fired because of my pregnancy because in 99% of the cases the employer verifies doctors notes with calls.

The forged note was an excuse.

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

Answered . Of course, you cannot be fired just because your are pregnant, and you do not mention the possibility of any other reason. It seems the allegedly forged note was also related to your pregnancy. As such, I strongly recommend you consult with an attorney to review all the facts and circumstances of your situation to determine whether they would support a lawsuit. You can search among the attorney profiles here on Avvo. Good luck!

2. Jason T Brown

Pro

Answered . There are many criteria that will go into whether your suit will be sucessful, including, but not limited to, how long you were there, how many employees work at the location and what your hard objective proof is that you were fired due to your pregnancy. It sounds like you were a good worker there, so if your reviews were positive and you were suddenly fired during your pregnancy that may be indicative that you were discriminated against. We have succesfully handled many pregnancy discrimination cases in New York, so feel free to call us 24/7 at (800) 910-0529 to discuss your matter. We offer free consultations. Best of luck to you during the remainder of your pregnancy!

3. Vincent Peter White

Answered . Discrimination against pregant women in the work force is a serious matter, and in many situations is protected by the law. It is possible that you have a claim for their efforts to terminate you, especially if it can be shown that the termination came as a result of your pregnancy.

You should speak to an experienced trial attorney immediately. I would suggest that you demand a free consultation with an attorney to fully understand your options.