Can i sue an at will employer ?

Bloomingburg, NY |

I worked for a company for over 2 years I wanted to move up in the company I began appyling for open positions. After applying I was suspended for leaving a meeting after the supervisor said it was over, when asked why I was told that I didn't complete the company cheer before leaving. I was suspended for a week. I was then no longer able to get the position. I worked hard for nearly a year making sure not to get into trouble again, I started applying to higher positions again and was suspended this time for punching out to fix a pallet then punching back in this happened and I was talked to and then I was suspended a week later, a few days later I was called and fired for what happened last year. Every time I applied for a better position I was suspended and now I have no job

ok so what about adverse action ? I was an at will employee . they did in fact show discriminatory actions by dismissing an employee , they basically refused a prospective employee, and to top it off discriminating between one employee and other employees , i was singled out . An i can prove it i just need to find a lawyer who will listen on the facts i have . Its a $20 billion company

Discrimination laws in New York State and Federal discrimination laws do apply to at-will employers. However, simply being treated differently is not sufficient for a discrimination lawsuit, you will need to demonstrate that the disparate treatment was motivated by discrimination against a protected class. These protected classes would be groups such as national origin, race, religion, disability, age, gender, sexual orientation and so on.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook ( if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

im a felon would that be considered a disability , im half puerto rican and half white

I still don't see discrimination in your fact pattern but use the Find A Lawyer tab on this web site to look for employment lawyers.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

A union could have provided the type of job protection that would have prevented what the company did. But I do not think a lawyer can correct the problems you describe.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes