Can i sue an at will employer ?

Asked 11 months ago - Bloomingburg, NY

I worked for a company for over 2 years I wanted to move up in the company I began appyling for open positions. After applying I was suspended for leaving a meeting after the supervisor said it was over, when asked why I was told that I didn't complete the company cheer before leaving. I was suspended for a week. I was then no longer able to get the position. I worked hard for nearly a year making sure not to get into trouble again, I started applying to higher positions again and was suspended this time for punching out to fix a pallet then punching back in this happened and I was talked to and then I was suspended a week later, a few days later I was called and fired for what happened last year. Every time I applied for a better position I was suspended and now I have no job

ok so what about adverse action ? I was an at will employee . they did in fact show discriminatory actions by dismissing an employee , they basically refused a prospective employee, and to top it off discriminating between one employee and other employees , i was singled out . An i can prove it i just need to find a lawyer who will listen on the facts i have . Its a $20 billion company

1. Vincent Peter White

6

Answered . Discrimination laws in New York State and Federal discrimination laws do apply to at-will employers. However, simply being treated differently is not sufficient for a discrimination lawsuit, you will need to demonstrate that the disparate treatment was motivated by discrimination against a protected class. These protected classes would be groups such as national origin, race, religion, disability, age, gender, sexual orientation and so on.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . I still don't see discrimination in your fact pattern but use the Find A Lawyer tab on this web site to look for employment lawyers.

3. Arthur H. Forman

Pro

2

Answered . A union could have provided the type of job protection that would have prevented what the company did. But I do not think a lawyer can correct the problems you describe.