Can I sue an anesthesiologist for messing up on my epidural?

Seminole, FL |

I had an epidural with my second child so I knew what it was supposed to feel like. The epidural with my third child went wrong. When he put it in, it shot up to my neck. I told him that, but he didn't respond. The next day, while I was sitting up, I started having excruciating pain in my head and neck when I sat up and in my back when I laid down. They said it was my spinal fluid leaking. They ended up having to do a blood patch- which is where they take blood from my arm and put it into my spine to stop the spinal leak. Two years later, I am still having bad neck and back pain constantly and a headache every day. The headache will be so bad that I get nauseous, have a hard time seeing, and I am very sensitive to light and sound. It will be behind my eyes making it hard for me to see.

1. Yes. I have had similar cases. You should seek the advice of a local malpractice attorney in your area. He or she can order he records and have them reviewed by an expert if they feel the case justifies the costs of the expert. Good luck.

2. I'm sorry you have had this experience. Your potential case merits further investigation, and you should contact a local experienced medical malpractice attorney who will consult with you and may obtain your medical records for further review by the appropriate medical professionals. I urge you to do this as soon as possible because Florida has strict Statutes of Limitation that may act to prevent you from bring a claim if you do not act timely. Best wishes.

3. A local malpractice lawyer would need to order your medical records to investigate

4. It sounds as though you may have experienced a risk of the procedure. Nicking the dura surrounding your spinal cord is a risk when you have an epidural. It also sounds like your providers acted quickly to treat that nick. Your headaches should resolve as you heal. If they do not seek follow up treatment. It is my hope that you will be enjoying our new baby soon.