Can I sue an American Corporation in the European Union?

Filed under: Dual citizenship

I have dual citizenship and I want to find out if I can sue an American Partnership in Europe for what they have done me wrong here in the United States. I do not want to sue them here, I want to sue them In Europe. If that is possible can you please let me know under which law? Thank you.

This is not an immigration question. I suggest you consult with a corporate attorney.

I agree with my colleague but to add to it, I would seek an attorney where you want to sue in Europe because the law varies based on the place where you are and attorneys are generally only permitted to practice law in certain states or countries. You might find a few EU barristers and solicitors on this site but it is mainly US lawyers.

This answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on as each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

There are many issues involved in your question that make it important that you consult with an attorney before engaging in that course of conduct. Find an attorney in the country from which you wish to sue and ask this question.

Your primary issue will be whether or not the foreign court can exercise jurisdiction over the US corporation. A court cannot simply exercise jurisdiction over a company or a person without having the legal ability to exercise control over that company or person. The next issue will be whether adjudicating the matter should occur in the US or a foreign soil. Issues there will include where most of the witnesses and documents are located.

Finally, if your desire to sue this company in Europe is simply to make it difficult on the company, most judges will see through that kind of motive, and you risk financial exposure for engaging in such conduct.

Find a lawyer in the foreign country and ask these questions.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

You will need to clarify which country in Europe you are talking about. We need more information about the nature of how the partnership has done you wrong, what their European activities or connections are, and details about your relationship with the partnership.

You will then need to figure out the jurisdictional issues, as mentioned below.

My firm has contacts in every European country. After getting the details above, we'd be happy to refer you to appropriate counsel in the relevant country.

Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and confidence they need to comply in any country. Our answers on this site do not constitute legal advice, nor do they establish an attorney-client relationship. The only thing that can do that is a signed Engagement Letter and Fee Agreement, which you can get by contacting us through

No one can tell you without reviewing the facts of your case. It also depends on which member state of the EU we are talking about, each has their own laws. Normally though i would think a court in the EU would be reluctant to exercise jurisdiction based solely on your dual citizenship.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society. International Law 24/7 hotline +1-202-318-2406 - Dr. Jonathan Levy, PhD calls or emails usually returned within 24 hours.

Recommended articles about Immigration