Can I sue an American Corporation in the European Union?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have dual citizenship and I want to find out if I can sue an American Partnership in Europe for what they have done me wrong here in the United States. I do not want to sue them here, I want to sue them In Europe. If that is possible can you please let me know under which law? Thank you.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Robert Edward Myers

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague but to add to it, I would seek an attorney where you want to sue in Europe because the law varies based on the place where you are and attorneys are generally only permitted to practice law in certain states or countries. You might find a few EU barristers and solicitors on this site but it is mainly US lawyers.

    This answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on as each situation is fact specific, and... more
  2. Neil Pedersen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are many issues involved in your question that make it important that you consult with an attorney before engaging in that course of conduct. Find an attorney in the country from which you wish to sue and ask this question.

    Your primary issue will be whether or not the foreign court can exercise jurisdiction over the US corporation. A court cannot simply exercise jurisdiction over a company or a person without having the legal ability to exercise control over that company or person. The next issue will be whether adjudicating the matter should occur in the US or a foreign soil. Issues there will include where most of the witnesses and documents are located.

    Finally, if your desire to sue this company in Europe is simply to make it difficult on the company, most judges will see through that kind of motive, and you risk financial exposure for engaging in such conduct.

    Find a lawyer in the foreign country and ask these questions.

    Good luck to you.

    This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed... more
  3. Kyndra L. Mulder


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is not an immigration question. I suggest you consult with a corporate attorney.

  4. Jonathan H Levy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No one can tell you without reviewing the facts of your case. It also depends on which member state of the EU we are talking about, each has their own laws. Normally though i would think a court in the EU would be reluctant to exercise jurisdiction based solely on your dual citizenship.

    This is not legal advice but a general comment on society. International Law 24/7 hotline +1-202-318-2406 - Dr.... more
  5. Todd Matthew Heine

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You will need to clarify which country in Europe you are talking about. We need more information about the nature of how the partnership has done you wrong, what their European activities or connections are, and details about your relationship with the partnership.

    You will then need to figure out the jurisdictional issues, as mentioned below.

    My firm has contacts in every European country. After getting the details above, we'd be happy to refer you to appropriate counsel in the relevant country.

    Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,187 answers this week

2,838 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,187 answers this week

2,838 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary