Can I sue an 18 year for emotional damages due to rape?

I'm 14 I was given alcoholic beverages and raped by three teens (ages 18,18,15) and sexually touched by an older man. One of the 18 year olds took pictures. A few days pass and a 17 year old girl posted the picture on Instagram...there is proof. I've been HARRASED over social networks and in school. Since the inccedent I've had a low self esteem, verry depressed, ashamed, and have thoughts of suicide. I'm scared to go to school due to being HARRASED and I can't sleep well at night.

Huntington, NY -

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

Did you call the police? You can sue but the question is whether they have assets to collect from if you win.

George Peter Conway

George Peter Conway

Criminal Defense Attorney - Saratoga Springs, NY

I suggest -if you- have not already done so that you: 1. Tell your parent(s) everything that has happened to you; 2. Obtain proper medical care and treatment ; 3. Obtain counseling by a counselor who specializes in counseling victims of sexual assault; 4. Report this to the New York State Police ; 5. Notify the principal of your school that you are scared to attend school due to harassment; and 6. Speak with a local personal injury attorney to determine if there is any realistic chance that you could be compensated for your pain and suffering.

Richard C. Southard

Richard C. Southard

Have you gone to the police with your proof? If the case was not prosecuted, a civil attorney is going to be much less interested. More facts are needed.

Anthony Michael Solis

Anthony Michael Solis

Criminal Defense Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

You can sue anyone for anything. The questions are: is the proof sufficient, and do the three teens (or their parents) have money to pay damages. If they don't, you'll be seeking a hollow judgment. Go to a civil plaintiff's attorney in your area and discuss your claims.

Mitchell Jan Birzon

Mitchell Jan Birzon

Personal Injury Lawyer - Smithtown, NY

The attorneys who already responded gave you excellent advice. Speak with a counselor, if you didn't report this event to the police, -do it now and ideally with your parent(s) support, if you sought medical attention follow it, if you didn't , do it now as well. Consider contacting a Women's Crisis Center in the Huntington area for help,and guidance. Keep a diary of all that you have gone thru. Speak to an attorney as well.