Skip to main content

Can I sue an 18 year for emotional damages due to rape?

Huntington, NY |
Filed under: Juvenile law

I'm 14 I was given alcoholic beverages and raped by three teens (ages 18,18,15) and sexually touched by an older man. One of the 18 year olds took pictures. A few days pass and a 17 year old girl posted the picture on Instagram...there is proof. I've been HARRASED over social networks and in school. Since the inccedent I've had a low self esteem, verry depressed, ashamed, and have thoughts of suicide. I'm scared to go to school due to being HARRASED and I can't sleep well at night.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    Did you call the police? You can sue but the question is whether they have assets to collect from if you win.

    The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  2. You can sue anyone for anything. The questions are: is the proof sufficient, and do the three teens (or their parents) have money to pay damages. If they don't, you'll be seeking a hollow judgment. Go to a civil plaintiff's attorney in your area and discuss your claims.

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

  3. I suggest -if you- have not already done so that you: 1. Tell your parent(s) everything that has happened to you; 2. Obtain proper medical care and treatment ; 3. Obtain counseling by a counselor who specializes in counseling victims of sexual assault; 4. Report this to the New York State Police ; 5. Notify the principal of your school that you are scared to attend school due to harassment; and 6. Speak with a local personal injury attorney to determine if there is any realistic chance that you could be compensated for your pain and suffering.

    The information provided is not intended to be legal advice, but merely conveys general information related to legal issues commonly encountered. The information is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or current. I make no warranty, expressed or implied, about the accuracy or reliability of the information. You should not act or rely on any information at above without seeking the advice of an attorney. The determination of whether you need legal services and your choice of a lawyer are very important matters that should not be based on websites or advertisement

  4. Have you gone to the police with your proof? If the case was not prosecuted, a civil attorney is going to be much less interested. More facts are needed.

    I am a former Brooklyn Criminal Court Deputy Bureau Chief with over 17 years experience specializing in handling criminal cases. All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. Also, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication.

  5. The attorneys who already responded gave you excellent advice. Speak with a counselor, if you didn't report this event to the police, -do it now and ideally with your parent(s) support, if you sought medical attention follow it, if you didn't , do it now as well. Consider contacting a Women's Crisis Center in the Huntington area for help,and guidance. Keep a diary of all that you have gone thru. Speak to an attorney as well.

    The responses provided to your questions are not legal advice, do not create any attorney client relationship, and are provided for informational purposes only.

Juvenile law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics