Can i sue adult protective services if they got access to a bank account that they had no right touching

Virginia Beach, VA |

the adult protective services was investigating one account and got a hold of on without permission

1. What are your damages from their inappropriate action? What is th basis for your claim...invasion of privacy? Why does it even matter as you give no context to the situation and why you feel aggrieved?

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.

2. You can sue but you can't win unless you prove APS acted improperly and you haven't shown how they may have acted improperly.

Lawrence Friedman, Bridgewater, NJ. Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the ABA approved National Elder Law Foundation, former Chair NJ State Bar Association Elder and Disabilities Law Section, Member Board of Consultors of NJSBA Real Property, Trusts & Estates Law Section, Vice Chair Special Needs Law Section of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation from N.Y.U. School of Law. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com for articles and Q&A on elder law, special needs, wills, trusts, estates, and tax. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com/blog and subscribe for free timely updates to be delivered to your inbox. Information on both Avvo and SpecialNeedsNJ.com does not constitute legal advice, as it is general in nature and may not apply to your situation or be subject to important changes. No attorney client relationship exists unless set forth in written engagement terms.

3. If they acted improperly you may win. You need to show what your damages were and that they acted beyond their authority. Get an Elder Law attorney on retainer and organize the best options going forward. Good Luck!

4. Adult Protective Services does not always need permission to get information if they have reason to believe that a person is being subjected to abuse, including financial exploitation. There is not enough information in your posting to know what is going on or what you think they have done wrong.