Can I sue a University for emotional distress?

Columbus, GA |

I feel like I was treated unfairly in a particular class. My grades were manipulated in the class which caused me to fail. I can prove they were because I calculated them myself. I reported the incident to the teacher's supervisor but, nothing was being done about the situation. I told the chairperson about the situation and she sent me back to the supervisor. There's only one professor that teaches the class and I really don't want to deal with that professor again. I'm in my last semester of college, so I can't take the class somewhere else. I have been extremely depressed about this situation lately. I have contemplated suicide and I can barely sleep, because I fear I'll have to deal with this mess over again.

1. These facts will not support a tort action or lawsuit for emotional distress. You may want to seek out some psychological or mental health counseling to help you cope with a difficult situation that is beyond your control.

You may want to utilize your university's formal administrative grievance process.

In fact, students do not have unlimited legal rights to challenge a grade. A grade is inevitably a subjective assessment -- an opinion -- and someone has to make that subjective call. Undermost university rules and regs, it is the professor whose judgment is the one that will be recorded. In many schools, the professor or instructor is insulated from any recourse by the student, or even any corrective action by school administration, based on "academic freedom."

Courts will not ordinarily second-guess a class grade or a claim based on disputed degree credits or progress. Courts traditionally leave hands off of academic disputes. Only where protected status (race, religion, etc.) is at issue will courts scrutinize the judgment of the professor.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.