Can I sue a university for a diploma and other damages?

Waterloo, IA |
Filed under: Education law

It was the universities claim that I did not take my final exam. (online courses for Kaplan University) Tech support does not show me as logged in on that day.
Since then I have had a computer tech look into my cache of my computer and found evidence that I had taken the exam. I included these attachments with my appeals but to no avail.
I have been dismissed from the school after completing the entire course with an 85% grade for not taking the final.
I took the test, I logged in to take the test, so I need to know how to force them to take a better look into their computer cache like we did with mine. I was not offered to retake the exam or any other options.
The cost of the course...$30,000.00.

I have gone completely thru the appeals process with Kaplan.

This asker ought to contact a personal injury attorney or contracts (or perhaps fraud)lawyer to review all of the policies of the Kaplan University (KU) and the contract or agreement originally signed by this student. Most likely these writngs severely limit the students venues to file suit and the kinds of recovery which one is entitled. Having said that most of these kinds of lawyers will at least provide a 1/2 hr, consultation. Be respectful of the lawyer's time and have all of the facts and documents gathered and ready to present.

The student also ought to contact his or her state's attorney general's office, as the conduct of for profit colleges has come under increasing scrutiny.

Ultimatley, only a court can force someone to do something against their wishes. A letter to the student's dean, indicating that KU is being arbitrary or capricious and that a complain to the attorney general is forthcoming (and placing KU on notice to preserve all hard copy and electronic evidence) may yeild more immediate results.

Good luck,

This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctorine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at or 330-777-0065 Thank you and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful.

The options that were given to this student stated that they could check into going to another college then taking those credits back to Kaplan to see if they would transfer the credits and give the degree. It is not unheard of for none of those credits to transfer.The student had 10 credits transfer to Kaplan that couldn't be applied to the course. On the other side of that I have also heard that other colleges wouldn't transfer any credits from Kaplan. With that being said would it be benificial for the student to inquire with other colleges as to the credits for the course "Medical Office Management" and see if any credits would transfer towards the degree or if they had to retake the whole course over.

Todd Bruce Kotler

Todd Bruce Kotler

Making inquiries to other colleges and getting more information is almost allways beneficial. That's a practical opinion, not a legal one.

ok so i make inquiries to other colleges and find that the credits dont transfer.Does that give more legal back up to future wage loss and incurring more debt. I would most likely have to retake the whole course over due to no credit transfer.

Todd Bruce Kotler

Todd Bruce Kotler

Not at all. That only goes to damages. If one does not establish liability, the defendant wins. The student in this instance must first see a local lawyer (with all relevant contracts and communications to figure out whether KU is liable.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law