Can I sue a university

Allen Park, MI |

The issue is, I was enrolled in a class, in which a professor made several racist remarks, I approached the head of the department, and the financial aid department, was told that if I left the situation alone I would not be held responsible for any repayment for the class. They have since put the debt to collection. I have an email stating I owe no money because of the issues, they say the is different that what they have. What sort of of Legal Action can I take?

You need to consult personally with a lawyer. These facts do not make sense, so something is wrong or missing.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt