Can I sue a university

Asked over 1 year ago - Allen Park, MI

The issue is, I was enrolled in a class, in which a professor made several racist remarks, I approached the head of the department, and the financial aid department, was told that if I left the situation alone I would not be held responsible for any repayment for the class. They have since put the debt to collection. I have an email stating I owe no money because of the issues, they say the is different that what they have. What sort of of Legal Action can I take?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to consult personally with a lawyer. These facts do not make sense, so something is wrong or missing.

    No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended... more

Related Topics

Nondischargeable debt and student loans

Student loans cannot normally be discharged in bankruptcy. Unlike most other types of debt, student loans are nondischargeable--except in cases of hardship.

Education law

Education law focuses on issues in schools and universities, such as appealing suspensions and expulsions, or updating IEPs (Individualized Education Programs).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,349 answers this week

3,633 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,349 answers this week

3,633 attorneys answering