Skip to main content

Can I sue a traffic court for not taking the numerous calls I made to them to find out how much my fine was?

Edgewood, MD |

I had interviews at schools in various states that I was considering to relocate to. I was given a ticket in another state for going over the speed limit whiles descending a very steep hill but I decided not to challenge it in court because it would have interfered with my interview dates. I decided to pay for it. The cop showed me a number on the ticket to call to find out the cost of the fine. I called continually for 5 months no one picked the phone and at times the call will just cut off at their end. After this period of time, I was stopped by a cop who claimed I crossed a red light and upon checking in my license realized it was suspended in my state of residence so I was arrested and jailed. Had to pay a bail, pay the bondsman, pay for towing etc. I am set for trial.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Unlikely that you have any kind of cause of action for the circumstances you described. Hire an attorney to sort this out for you.

    DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

  2. Don't think so - you could have written to the court; appeared & asked the court; retained a traffic ticket attorney to appear for you etc etc

    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

  3. you can sue but it will be a waste of filing fees and you may get ordered to pay their attorney fees.

  4. You should make sure that you hire an attorney to defend the driving on a suspended license charge and that you have had your license reinstated by taking care of the unpaid ticket. You may have a defense to the driving on a suspended license charge depending on the facts.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics