Can I sue a towing company for stealing iteams out my car?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I was arrested for a DWI and my car was towed on site. The police made an inventory report of iteams in my car. I gave power of attorney to my sister to get my things from my car while I was in jail. However, the towing/storage company denied any things were in the car. I had several thousands of dollars worth of property in the car at the time of the arrest - laptop, a gold container with my mother's ashes, digital camera, a personal safe with government I.D's and banking info, computer modem, $200 cash, my entire wallet, just to name a few. The police have an inventory on file but the towing company denied there was anything in the car. The towing company refused to assist my sister even though she provided power of attorney documents.

1. Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Pro

1

1

Answered . Yes you can.

2. Richard L. Armstrong

1

Answered . Absolutely you can.

3. Don Karotkin

Answered . Yes, you can sue the towing company. The Texas constitution guarantees all citizens free access to our courts. This means that anyone can sue anyone, at any time, anywhere, for any reason, for any amount of money and without first proving anything to anyone. However, filing a lawsuit and winning one are two entirely different things. Winning a lawsuit and actually recovering some money are also two entirely different things.

I suggest that you carefully preserve any and all documentary, photographic and other evidence you can gather about the stolen items and their value and promptly consult a Houston plaintiffs' lawyer who is certified in Consumer and Commercial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. A link to the Board's website appears below.

www.tbls.org