Skip to main content

Can I sue a towing company for stealing iteams out my car?

Houston, TX |

I was arrested for a DWI and my car was towed on site. The police made an inventory report of iteams in my car. I gave power of attorney to my sister to get my things from my car while I was in jail. However, the towing/storage company denied any things were in the car. I had several thousands of dollars worth of property in the car at the time of the arrest - laptop, a gold container with my mother's ashes, digital camera, a personal safe with government I.D's and banking info, computer modem, $200 cash, my entire wallet, just to name a few. The police have an inventory on file but the towing company denied there was anything in the car. The towing company refused to assist my sister even though she provided power of attorney documents.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes you can.

This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.



Thanks. How do you suggest I go about sueing them? I have already filed a police report. I am in the process of trying to get a copy of the police tow slip/inventory document.

Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Richard Kurt Arbuckle


Since the amount is probably over $10,000 you will need to file in county or district court. For that you will need a lawyer. You can call the Houston lawyer referral service to find a lawyer who handles smaller litigation cases. (713) 237-9429 It is a non-profit service run by the Houston Bar Association. They also have a web site


Yes, you can sue the towing company. The Texas constitution guarantees all citizens free access to our courts. This means that anyone can sue anyone, at any time, anywhere, for any reason, for any amount of money and without first proving anything to anyone. However, filing a lawsuit and winning one are two entirely different things. Winning a lawsuit and actually recovering some money are also two entirely different things.

I suggest that you carefully preserve any and all documentary, photographic and other evidence you can gather about the stolen items and their value and promptly consult a Houston plaintiffs' lawyer who is certified in Consumer and Commercial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. A link to the Board's website appears below.

Good luck.


Absolutely you can.

No answer given by Armstrong the Law Firm or its lawyers on the internet shall be deemed to create an attorney client relationship. Answers give are general guidelines only, and should not be relied upon by the questioner as a basis for action. Rather, the questioner is urged to consult a qualified attorney in his own jurisdiction.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer