Can I sue a therapist for malpractice, or personal injuries?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lawrenceville, GA

My wife began seeing a therapist about a year ago. Within this year our marriage has gone to pot and we are even talking about divorce. I'm now finding out that my wife is telling this therapist outright lies about me that are obviously lies to anyone who would hear these stories and think about them for even one second. I've asked to talk to this therapist several times in order to clear things up only to be told no by my wife and the therapist. I can't understand how a therapist does marriage counseling only ever talking to one party in the marriage. This therapist seems to be content to nurture my wife's delusions and talk her into divorcing me based on untrue stories she has heard from my wife. Can I sue this therapist for the many personal injuries caused by her inept brand of therapy

Pro

9

1

Answered . A lawsuit would be fruitless.

2. Sam Louis Levine

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . There's a great group of attorneys on this forum. Each attorney brings their own unique perspective & experience to a situation. Mine is but one of many. That said, if you would like to talk, I'd be happy to do so. If not, best wishes.

Sam Levine, Esq.
    (404 ) 303-8875

3. Scott Benjamin Riddle

Pro

7

1

Answered . Of course not. What you propose is that third parties be able to interfere with the confidential relationship of a patient and therapist, somehow dictate what they should talk about and who they should include, and then concoct a claim because someone elses therapy does not turn out how you would like. Obviously, you and your wife have issues and the therapist may or may not be helping, but that is not your call. It is also not the therapist's fault if your wife is lying to her.

4. David Thomas Dorer

Answered . No, for two reasons. 1) Georgia law does not recognize the right to recover for emotional distress without a direct physical injury or "impact." This is commonly referred to as the "impact rule." (see: http://bit.ly/13ksJBG) 2) You don't have standing to claim malpractice because you were not treated by the therapist. The therapist didn't wrong you, the therapist only allegedly wronged your wife.