Can I sue a teacher for giving a "DR" grade which is in the case of disciplinary proceedings such as cheating or other problems?

Asked over 1 year ago - Burbank, CA

I got a DR grade without any explanation. I saw my grade on registrar. And, then emails the teacher asking the reason. She just said that, there was irregularities in some exams that made it necessary to assign a DR grade. She also mentioned that she is leaving tomorrow and therefore she sending all the relevant things to the Dean of students and they will take care of it. So, i still don't know what is the reason. She refuses answering to my emails after that. In any academic dishonesty cases teacher must first talk to the student and then send the issue to The DEAN. She also lied that she left the town next day. She could have seen me which was a must and explain the issue. She never even explained the reason through email. I am still waiting to hear from them(the Dean or the teacher).

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Although you haven't stated the critical details, I am deducing that this is a private secondary school. If that is the case, you have very few enforceable rights.

    Check your enrollment contract -- it will almost inevitably state that the school has the authority and discretion to deviate from the usual procedures whenever the school determines that deviation is necessary or appropriate.

    In all events, you cannot sue a teacher because you disagree with a grade, nor can you sue a teacher for failing to follow the school's administrative procedures.

    Theoretically speaking, you can sue the school for failing to follow its administrative procedures, but these lawsuits are expensive; they take years to see through; they are not handled on contingency or pro bono basis; and they are almost never successful.

    If you are accused of academic dishonesty, you need to play defense here. Ask your folks to get you a lawyer. Depending on the strength of the evidence and your proximity to college applications, the most worthy result is often a negotiated withdrawal with an agreement for confidentiality as to the reasons.

    But of course, the specifics of your case will drive the nature of your objective.

    No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,155 answers this week

2,894 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,155 answers this week

2,894 attorneys answering