Can I sue a sheriff department if i think they violated my rites. How do I go about it?

Murfreesboro, AR |

I have a 17 year old daughter, who slept with a married man, and the prosecutor , sheriff and deputy sheriff where questioning me because i didnt report it, well why would i cause she knew what she was doing and they said they are trying to get this man for rape, cause she was willing but unable to say no....that is a lie, she knew exctly what she was doing.. a very long story.... I got domestic battery 3rd degree and mom in law did too, We need help, sherriff department did us very badly and when I went in to tell my side, I couldnt get an edge wise in..Prosecutor was supposed to remain neutral but she didnt....Im sick of this department, they are dirty and there is more but unable to fit in pl advize me on what to do, I would love to sue these jerks cause Im not the only one.

1. There are a number of things which will prevent you from suing successfully. The first is a lack of damages, and another is having a criminal conviction. If you plead guilty or are convicted, you cannot sue for civil rights violations.

As to the issue of whether your daughter consented, a minor cannot consent to sex with an adult as a matter of law.

The opinions expressed in this answer are meant for educational and public service purposes. Requesting general information about the law on a public website should never be a substitute for a personal consultation with an attorney who can give specific legal advice tailored to the facts of an individual case. Please be aware that Robert Hogan is licensed only in Texas and New Mexico, and that any opinions given are not meant to apply outside of these states. No attorney-client relationship is intended by answering questions or emails.

2. In no way is the prosecutor a "neutral" -- ever.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.