Can I sue a school teacher for telling her class that my 9 year old is going to jail? when it wasn't true

Madison, WI |

my son's 4th grade teacher told his class that he was going to jail and now the other children are bullying him in school. also, he is in special education

Most likely you are relying on the reports of a child or children in this matter and those will not by themselves suffice as the factual basis for a lawsuit. But the reports of your son and/or his classmates is adequate for a complaint to the teacher and the school and a request for investigation by the school administrative officers. Suing is almost never the correct course as a first resort.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

I actually made a complaint and the school is brushing this under the table. the teacher did admit to telling her class that my child was arrested and went to jail. other teacher in this school were also, spreading the word among collegues and parents. the principal even admitted to hearing a staff talking about it with other staff that isn't part of my child's teaching team

This type of behavior is unacceptable. Your child does not deserve to be treated this way.

This answer is for informational purposes only. I am not your lawyer. If you want legal advice concerning this question, you should hire a lawyer.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody