Can i sue a school for releasing personal identifying information of my 15 year old son, to another parent, d/t FERPA?

Asked over 1 year ago - Geneva, NY

I filed a complaint of a FERPA violation against my sons school. I finally received a response that the school did violate FERPA. The school now has a new policy d/t my complaint. My sons PII was mailed to another students parent.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

1

Answered . FERPA is not enforceable by private lawsuits. You may have rights in your state for breach of privacy, but your damages and potential recovery are likely to be below the amount that would cover the costs of litigation against a school. I think you have had what remedy there is to be had with your DoE complaint and a new policy. That's a lot.