Can I sue a school for my child's slip and fall injury?

Lapeer, MI |

I got a call from the school to pick up my 5 year old due to bleeding from the nose. I arrived at the school and my boy was a bloody mess. I asked what happend and they said he sliped on the ice that was on the blacktop on the playground. I asked was it salted first they said no that they are taking care of it now. I asked why they waited till someone got hurt to do so and they kept taking me off subject. Well I took him to the hospital and they did xrays on his face. The doctor said his nose was broke in two places. The fallowing day I took him to his doctor and they said he has to see a nose doctor and may need surgery. What should I do?

Cases against schools are tough, as most states have school immunity statutes, but call a local personal injury lawyer to discuss.

Contact a personal injury lawyer near you to handle this case. There are short municipal notice periods so don't wait. Good luck

There are MANY reasons why someone "slips and falls."
Could be school's fault; could be your son's fault; or
it could be a third-party's fault --- a schoolmate pushing
or bumping you son. You need to discuss this with a
local attorney to try to "get the facts." Good luck!

THIS ANSWER IS PURELY FOR ACADEMIC DISCUSSION ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ANY TYPE OF LEGAL ADVICE OR LEGAL REPRESENTATION.

You may face a difficult problem getting past Michigan's law on governmental immunity. There is a 180 day limit to give notice of any possible lawsuit, so you do need to act fast to find out if you have a valid case. You will probably have to prove that the school's conduct was intentional or was in reckless disregard of the safety of students, which is a difficult hurdle to get around.