Skip to main content

Can I sue a property owner because he negligently lets the building in abandoned state and homeless people create a nuisance?

Santa Monica, CA |

The building right close to my building is abandoned. I know the owners, they don't care about the building. The problem is that homeless people started more than three years ago to use this building as their own house. They are always drunk and they scream, fight, etc. They wake me up during the night, they embarrass me when I have guests at my place, they make the whole neighbor unsafe, etc.

The owner of the building told to me and my neighbors that he would have done something to fix the problem, but the problem is still here.

I always have to call the police and ask them to take these people away.

It's frustrating and creates emotional distress.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Contact the city building department or health department and report the property as being abandoned. If it is not being taken care of or is in disrepair, the city can red tag it and force the owner to do something about it.

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Nicholas Basil Spirtos


You can also seek a restraining order or file a nuisance suit against your neighbor, but that could be costly. I recommend you try and get the city to take on the burden before tackling it yourself.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer