Skip to main content

Can I sue a private college for tricking me into going to a mental health ER and then refusing to allow me back on campus?

New York, NY |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

Due to circumstances, I was told as a standard procedure that I would have to get a quick evaluation done with at the local mental health hospital. Then afterwards I could call college security or a friend to pick me up from the facility and take me back to my dorm room. I was told that nothing about my status as a student would be decided without my consent. Given that information, I complied with their request. The hospital cleared me as low risk but the school said I would not be able to return to campus without a guardian(I am over 20 years old) and could not be released from the hospital to them. So I was lied to in this regard. The stay at the ER was also traumatizing. Do I have a case at all in suing the admin or those involved who lied to me? Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The description you gave of the situation is extremely vague, which is probably a good thing because I'm guessing there is a lot of very sensitive, personal information here that you really shouldn't discuss in a public forum. But without a lot more information it's not possible to say whether you have a good case. I don't think you'll have much of a case based on being tricked into going to the ER; however there may well be things that the school has done in this situation that merit a lawsuit. You should set up a consultation with an attorney as soon as possible to determine your best course of action. Good luck.



Thank you for your advice. I was vague because of the character limit and of course I also did not want to reveal everything. Is there a certain type of lawyer I should seek out? Does this fall under education law?

Sean Thomas Wright

Sean Thomas Wright


A lawyer who specializes in education law would probably be best.


Speak with a local education lawyer in person. Do not post sensitive information on line in public non confidential forum.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer