Skip to main content

Can I sue a NP for misdiagnosis.... I was told I had hpv (gential warts) & was led to believe this for 2-3 mos.

Atlanta, GA |
Filed under: Medical malpractice

Which caused stress in my pregnancy&relationship. My daughter's father&I broke up because of it. I requested a lab test and they came back neg for hpv &genital warts .do I have a case??? Stress,pain& suffering perhaps??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


The costs would likely far exceed any recovery, but feel free to speak to a local Atlanta lawyer to discuss. Use Avvo's lawyer finder tool


Without any real damages, the cost to retain experts--lab experts, nursing experts-- will likely far exceed the amount of any recovery.

The above is just my opinion based upon the limited facts provided. It is not intended to be offered as legal advice nor is it intended to establish an attorney client relationship. You should seek a consultation either in person or over the phone to discuss any legal issue that you may have raised.


Unless your damages are significant, you probably will not find an attorney to help you.


What everyone has posted is true in that sometimes in these cases it's difficult to show ways in which you've been harmed that justify the expenses of a lawsuit. That being said, you should contact one of us that practices in this area and at least discuss the specifics of your case so that an attorney can help you make an informed decision. Good luck.

The initial consultation is always free. This post is intended to provide general guidance, and should not be construed as legal advice. While I am an attorney, unless we sign a retainer agreement, I am not your attorney, and any information shared on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it.


Probably not, because you have no economic loss, and thus have no damages as a result of the misdiagnosis. Further, since there is no "impact" Georgia law does not afford you the right to recover for solely emotional damages.

Talk to a lawyer anyway, though. Consultations for these types of cases are usually free, and maybe some facts are missing that could make for a recovery for you.

I answer your question with more detail on my law podcast, talking law:

Answering questions does not create an attorney/client relationship. I only am your attorney if I have entered into a written contract, signed by me, wherein I expressly assent to be your attorney. Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice to be acted upon, it is merely a legal opinion.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer