Can I sue a news station for reporting lies

Saint Louis, MO |

Can I sue a news station for reporting lies about me and posting my name and photo on the internet as well as creating a blog page and harrassing my famliy?

1. Here are the basics on Defamation:

Defamation is a false statement of fact against an individual’s character or reputation, either intentionally or negligently published to a third person, holding the defamed person up to ridicule, contempt, hatred, shame, or disgrace. There are two types of defamation: Slander and Libel. Slander is an untrue spoken statement about a person that harms their reputation and standing in their community. A person injured by slander can bring a civil lawsuit against the party that made the false statement.

Where a person is defamed in writing, it is called libel. Libel also includes television broadcasts. In many ways libel is more serious because it is more likely to reach a far greater audience. In New York a libeled person’s damages are presumed because the defamatory statement is preserved for a greater period of time.

It is important to note that the statute of limitations for defamation is different in each state. A statute of limitations is the time that a civil or criminal action must be brought forward. The limitations period begins when a defamatory statement is communicated to someone other than the plaintiff. For instance, in New York, New Jersey, and California the statute of limitations is one year. However, in Washington and Indiana it is two years. Because the time to bring an action defamation is shorter than a negligence action, it is imperative that a person who believes they have been defamed speak with an attorney immediately.

I assisted my brother in writing several articles on this topic. Two of them are listed below:

(1) http://www.suite101.com/content/defaming-the-in...

(2) http://www.suite101.com/content/will-justice-be...

I wish you the best of luck.

If you found this helpful I would appreciate your clicking the "thumbs up" below.

Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

2. I have a guide on this site for you to read.

When the press is involved there is an additional analysis; contact your local attorney to discuss the specifics.

There is no attorney-client relationship formed as a result of this communication. If you find this information helpful, please check "Positive" or"Plus" or"Up" on the box below. You may contact me at 1-(607) 773-0758, or by e-mail through this site if you wish to follow up confidentially.