Can I sue a mechanic shop for negligence repairs and not owning up to their mistakes

Asked about 3 years ago - Dallas, TX

Took my car in for a front end alignment and break repairs.. Next day while driving to work I hear noises coming from front driver wheel..I took car back in the next day and mechanic test drove and said it was my axle without even putting it on car lifts.. So I drove car for a day and half more and sound starting getting worse.. Five minutes after getting off highway, car wheel came off resulting in me having to leave me car and it been towed.. Had to pay to get car from pound and have it towed to a dealership, come to find out my wheel wasn't properly tightened at time of repair.. Lucky for me and kids the wheel didn't come off while on freeway.. So I took car and all receipts of repairs and tow to mechanic shop and they are not owning up to their mistake and refuse to reimburse money out

1. Claire Ellen Lindsay

Pro

Answered . Based on what you described this seems like it would fall under the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act since there is an implied warranty of good and workman-like performance. I would recommend hiring a consumer law attorney to walk you through the steps. You are required to give 60 days notice to the defendant (the repair shop). By the statute you are able to recover reasonable attorney's fees.

2. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . Yes, this sounds like a typical Small Claims case situation. To prove their negligence, you'll need an expert to testify to their mistakes, how they were fixed, and an invoie and proof of your payments to show how much you paid for the negligent work and mhow much you had to pay to have someone else repair the problem.