Can I sue a major retailer for allowing at least 6 unauthorized charges, because they did not ask for identification.

York, PA |

My purse was stolen by two females. They went to Target and tried to use any/all credit cards in my wallet. They were successful for 6 transactions totaling $2,218. None of the transactions were less than $200, and they were not asked to provide id. I would like to know if there is anything I can do about this.

Yes.. file a police report alleging theft of your purse.. and challenge the charges .. make them show that you signed for the goods..

Did you call and cancel the credit card asap after your purse was stolen???

Please note that I answered this question with general knowlege of the law and with limited disclosure from you, my answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and I cannot be held responsible for how you, the asker, use the information provided. If you want to contact me directly and retain my services you may through my listing on this site or at 248-901-0750 or james@weineresq.com.

There were charges filed against the 2 girls from the local police dept. for stealing, theft by deception, and forgery. I cancelled the cards immediately. They had rang the amount listed above before it was cancelled, and there next almost $500 transaction was declined.

James T. Weiner

James T. Weiner

I think by federal law.. you can get the charges reversed..

James T. Weiner

James T. Weiner

Make sure all of the charges are listed in the police report.. then show the credit card company the police report and have the charges reversed.. You probably cannot get other damages other than getting the charges reversed..

Chase reversed my charges right away. They were awesome. Thanks!

You have important rights under the law, including under the Fair Credit Billing Act, when you have unauthorized charges on your credit card. Contact your credit card companies to inform them of the theft and unauthorized charges. Each shoud have a theft or fraud hotline. Also, make sure that you submit a written dispute by mail to the Billing Dispute address provided with your credit card statements. This is usually a different address than the one where you send your payments. Do not send a dispute in with a payment. You must submit the dispute separately, and you must do so within 60 days of the first statement showing the unauthorized charges to invoke the protections of the FCBA. I have more information on the FCBA on my website if you want more information.