Skip to main content

Can i sue a lawyer for not returning my documents?

New York, NY |

i hired an immigration lawyer who got me deported by telling me lies and other stuffs. the issue here is he is not returning my personal property that includes school transcripts, wallet, bank cards criminal documents case papers and other financial and important documents back to me. he is also not paying back the balance amount of money . i have proofs of list of items that he got and two checks that i paid him over 20 grand for my case and bond money. i never received bond so i deserve to get that money back. i wanna know if i sue this lawyer what are my chances of winning the case? i have also warned of reporting to state bar but he is not answering my emails anymore. anyone willing to help ? its been already over 4 months now and i dont have my stuffs. he is a licensed PA attorney

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You may file a law suit against him or her but whether you will prevail is another question and depends on the facts.


Basic question - have you hired another attorney and/or demanded your papers back in writing? Has the attorney notified you that he's put a lien on the file? I'm not up on the Model Rules of Professional Conduct in PA, but I think as long as you demand the return of your file, he has to return it. Some other AVVO attorneys licensed in PA should be able to assist in the analysis.

The foregoing is not legal advice nor is it in any manner whatsoever meant to create or impute an attorney/client relationship.



i havent hired a new lawyeri told him through email that i need them. i emailed him several times. first he said he will send soon for 3 months. recently he told me he has sent em out but im still to get it and its ben over a month so for 4 months i dont have my stuffs yet. he also lied to me of fliling my papers again as someone told me i can still come back to usa as im married to a us citizen so i can file waivers and try it out. and NO he has never notified me of nothing. i have clearly stated through my email that im firing you but he keeps on making excuses and now he doesnt reply at all


How would you participate in a lawsuit in PA if you have been deported?

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.



what are my best options then? how can i get my stuffs from him?



well im married to a US citizen so i was wondering if that could be of any help. even my wife told him several times to send my stuffs but he keeps on making excuses and lies all the time. i am willing to hire a lawyer who could get my stuffs out and file my papers again

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer