Can I sue a landlord in any county' court or in a specific court?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Miami, FL

I was renting an apt at miami beach. the landlord failed to refund my deposit. I tried to settle personally, phone and by mail without proper answer from the landlord. where can i sue the landlord, at the miami beach court or can be any court of miami dade county.
The landlord was a ex Former Mayor 20 years ago of M.Beach. He studied law.
I already wrote two letters to settle my deposit refund w/o answer from him.
What can I do?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Sergio Cabanas


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Depending on the amount, you can sue for return of security deposit in county court. You can also recovere attorney's fees. I would consult an attorney to consider taking the case for you.

  2. Royce Brent Bishop

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Well you need an attorney for sure, but if you are worried about his ex-mayor status and having politcal influence, no, you cannot go sue in Tampa or Jacksonville so that he cannot use influence. You have to sue where the property is. ok? You want to do everything right. He is a lawyer or will hire a lawyer and they will look for mistakes like a checkers or chess match.

  3. Carol Lynne Zimmerly


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You must sue the landlord in the county court where the property is located.
    Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,077 answers this week

2,460 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,077 answers this week

2,460 attorneys answering