Can I sue a hosting provider for lost revenues during downtime?

Asked 8 months ago - Brooklyn, NY

Yesterday, I began some service on my website. I was trying to transfer away the domain, and update some of the server settings. The result was that my website went down (not a fault of my own, but a fault of their poor system design). They told me that they recognize that the problem is in their system, but the website will be down for at least 5 days, and there is nothing that I can do about it.

Additionally, I spent 7 hours on the phone with customer service, and also lost access to all of the email addresses associated with my domain for that 5 day period.

There is a possibility the site can be down for 30+ days.

Based on value/visitor estimates of my losses will be $220-$3000/day of downtime. Is there any way I can pursue compensation?

1. Mark Raafat Malek

Pro

2

Answered . You will need to check your agreement with the host. I suspect that they specifically disclaim such claims.

The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and does not form an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . I suggest you read your contract to see what it says about this situation. I suspect that it is written to protect the hosting company.

3. Gary Ralph Ilmanen

2

Answered . Those are consequential damages. per the TOS, you can't get them.