Can I sue a hospital for the medical expenses at another hospital they transferred my wife to against my will? (I am her P.O.A.)

Watertown, WI |

I took my wife to a hospital. After 2 days, I was informed that they were transferring her to another hospital. I told them that I did not want her to go to that hospital because it was out of network, and also 1 1/2 hours away from where I work. I told them I wanted her to go to a different hospital that was in-network for my insurance, and also only 15 minutes from my job.

They ignored my requests, and transferred her to the hospital that they wanted to, where she spent 1 week in ICU. My insurance denied her transplant at that hospital, and now she has been transferred to the hospital that I wanted her to go to in the first place.

Now I am facing thousands of dollars of out of pocket expenses, along with the lost wages because I did not work, electing to stay with her in the ICU.

The most important thing at the end of the day is that your wife receives the proper care and treatment. As for the transfer, there is a question as to the reason for the transfer and whether or not the transfer was on an emergency basis. The hospital likely transferred your wife to the closest facility that was equipped to treat her conditions. You should contact a local health insurance lawyer to discuss the issues.

This question is better addressed to an attorney specializing in health care law.

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.