Skip to main content

Can I sue a dr or practice for profiling and discrimination

Sparks, NV |
Filed under: Discrimination

My sone in law was involved in a hit and run he was the victim on the motorcycle went to emergency room he has a broken collar bone and a banged up knee. Was referred to a orthopedics location for follow up in 2 weeks to see if he is healing, hospital said it would take about 8 weeks. So he made appointment he arrived they were rude because he has no insurance and he told them he could not pay until he went back to work. He saw dr, the dr then proceded to tell him he probably needed a X-ray but he didn't have X-ray vision and because he didn't have ins. Or money there nothing he could do. My son is Philippine and covered in tattoos so my daughter called the supervisor and told her that discripi nation and that lady had the dr call him and apologized and basically told him he was fine. He

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This is not really a car accident or personal injury question. That being said, I think you would have a tough time proving that your son was treated the way he was treated because of his tattoos or ethnicity as opposed to his lack of health insurance...not having health insurance is an excellent way to not be able to get medical treatment in this country.


You can sue for discrimination, but unless you have damages, you have nothing to "win" through litigation. Further, it appears if there was any discrimination it was because of financial status, rather than race or appearance. Financial status is not a protected class, and neither is appearance. It does not sound like your son in law was denied services based on his race. And any service provider has the right to expect to be paid at the time services are rendered. Your son in law should follow up through police reporting to see if there is any victim's assistance funding available to help with his medical expenses, and should make a claim with his own vehicle insurance company to see if he has any medical payments coverage or uninsured motorist coverage.

Responses are for general information purposes only, and are based on the extremely limited facts given. A consultation with an attorney experienced in the area of law(s) indicated in the question is highly recommended. Information and advice given here should not be relied upon for any final action or decision, as the information is limited by its nature to the question asked and the fact(s) presented in that question. THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP, particularly considering that the names of the parties are unknown.


Your son has a potential claim for uninsured motorist benefits and should consult with an attorney right away. The discrimination issues can be discussed as well.

Call 702-570-9000 to set up a free consultation. This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Consult with an attorney if you need further assistance.



I don't understand the uninsured motorist, is was a hit and run , he did not get a license plate. It toteled his motorcycle he's been out of work going one month because of this. He can't use his right arm because of his broke collar bone. And you recommend an attorney here is Reno, nv I see you are in Vegas.

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Robert Bruce Kopelson


Try Paul Malikowski.

Matthew William Hoffmann

Matthew William Hoffmann


We take cases all over Nevada, including Reno.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer