Can I sue a doctor for wrongful death because of Warfarin (Coumadin, Bristol-Myers Squibb)?

My mother was taken off of Warfarin (Coumadin, Bristol-Myers Squibb) to have a lump removed from her breast and then after a couple of weeks she was put back on them and then very shortly after she had a massive brain hemmorage and could not be saved due to there being no brain activity. I feel that if they would have looked for clots before they put her back on the Warfarin (Coumadin, Bristol-Myers Squibb) they would have been able to catch this and she would not be dead.

Blue Springs, MO -

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Philadelphia, PA

A local malpractice lawyer would need to order the medical records and send to an expert to review to ascertain whether there was a breach of the standard of care.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
Sean Michael Patrick

Sean Michael Patrick

Personal Injury Lawyer - Sacramento, CA

If you can show that the physician's actions fell below the standard of care (that is would other doctors with the same training and experience, based on the same circumstances, done the same thing?), you may have a case. However, based on these facts, without a full review of the medical records, this will be a very difficult case to win. Consult with a medical malpractice attorney in your area to review the medical records. Best of luck.

Evan Matthew Oshan

Evan Matthew Oshan

Personal Injury Lawyer - Seattle, WA

What I always do in a situation like yours is retain an expert to evaluate the merit of the claim. You may want to contact a local attorney in MO who would retain an expert to work on your your case.

Marc Edward Stewart

Marc Edward Stewart

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Little Rock, AR

There are essentially 2 kinds of cerebral stroke: ischemic (caused by a clot) or hemorrhagic (caused by free bleeding). It sounds like you are not sure which one your mother experienced. Coumadin is a blood thinner and tends to help folks avoid ischemic strokes. But if too much Coumadin accumulates in the blood, the blood is overly-thinned and spontaneous hemorrhagic strokes can occur.

Timing, symptoms, and blood labs are always critical pieces if info in a stroke case. I recommend that you have an experienced medical negligence lawyer in Missouri review the medical records.

Kevin Coluccio

Kevin Coluccio

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Seattle, WA

This type of claim needs the careful review of a medical malpractice attorney. Contact an attorney.

Gerald Lee Cross Jr.

Gerald Lee Cross Jr.

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Shawnee Mission, KS

Perhaps, but I would like to have more information through a free consultation that my firm offers.

Related Advice