Can I sue a doctor for telling me I had a chronic disorder and getting me addicted to pain medication. Which was false

Asked about 2 years ago - Jamestown, NY

Almost two years ago I was diagnosed by a doctor for upper abdominal pain, he had stated to me that I had chronic pancreatitis. And had prescribed me fentanyl medications and had even gave me a stent placement in my pancreatic duct ....the fentanyl which I had gotten addicted to has changed my life dramatically Well recently went to new doctor and had numerous tests done which all came out that I DID NOT have this disorder, the drugs made me sleepy and not able to keep or get a job. And when I stopped taking them I went through such a horrible withdraw and still don't feel normal, I think being on it for so long adapted my brain to need the drug....I want to know if anyone can help me with this situation because he may be doing malpractice on many other people

1. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

3

Best Answer

Answered . You may have a case but to fully analyse it requires a review of your medical records to see what was the basis for the doctor diagnosing you with pancreatitis in the first place, the placement of the stent, etc. You should consult with an attorney in your area who concentrates in medical malpractice, which consult is normally free, and who can have your records reviewed by a medical expert in the appropriate fields.

2. Peter Douglas Valenzano

2

Answered . I agree with the previous answer. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.

3. Daniel James Michalek

2

Answered . Based on the information you provided, it seems as though there definitely may be a meritorious medical malpractice claim.

A medical malpractice attorney will definitely need to meet with you to discuss the particulars of your case.

FYI: IN NEW YORK, THERE IS A 2.5 YEAR STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS FROM THE DATE OF MEDICAL MALPRACTICE.