Can I sue a doctor for negligence/ malpractice ?

my mom was on comp and seeing a pain management dr. the dr prescribed her drugs that were too strong and my mom passed away. she also had a settlement comping to her, my dad wants to see what happens with that and press charges. im not sure what to do or who to turn too, all I know is my mom is gone because of the drs meds. the medical report states that it was an accident.

Buffalo, NY -

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Personal Injury Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Contact a local medical malpractice lawyer to review the medical records to see if there is mslpractice.

David Ian Schoen

David Ian Schoen

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Windsor, VT

You won't know if there is something worth doing unless your father consults with a local medical malpractice attorney.

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Personal Injury Lawyer - New York, NY

A doctor will have to express an opinion that the was malpractice. Consult with a medical malpractice lawyer.

George Costas Andriotis

George Costas Andriotis

Personal Injury Lawyer - Tarpon Springs, FL

You need to consult a medical malpractice attorney to have the records reviewed to determine if the standard of care was breached by the treating physicians.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
Marco Caviglia

Marco Caviglia

Personal Injury Lawyer - Poughkeepsie, NY

"Pressing charges" relates to criminal conduct, and I don't think your father means that, although I have been involved with cases in which the malpractice also constituted criminally negligent homicide. Her settlement will proceed to be distributed commensurate with her estate provisions in a will or other post mortem device, even if imposed by the laws of intestacy. If you are contemplating med mal action, the estate must commence a suit within two years of the wrongful death via an estate fiduciary such as the administrator or executor. If the report states that it was an accident, then that is an excellent admission of liability and if you wish for more assistance, I would be happy to do so.

Brian Andrew Trodden

Brian Andrew Trodden

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Smithtown, NY

I have been handling medical malpractice and wrongful death cases for many years. Initially, I worked with insurance companies while defending the doctors and hospitals, and now as a plaintiff's attorney I sue the doctors and hospitals. You appear to have a lot of issues and questions. First, you need an experienced medical malpractice/wrongful death attorney to obtain the records and review them with a doctor to determine whether or not there was malpractice. When someone has died, in order to get the records, you will need to have an administrator or executor of the estate appointed in order to have an authorized person obtain release of the medical records. If a physican agrees there is malpractice, then a number of other questions need to be answered and all of this will require consulting with an experienced medical malpractice/wrongful death attorney. Importantly, New York State law requires that an attorney consult with a physician regarding your case, before even filing the lawsuit. My only advice to you at this point is that you must consult with a knowledgeable attorney.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Philadelphia, PA

She has a settlement coming to her from what?