Can I sue a daycare for having bedbugs?

Asked 3 months ago - Bronx, NY

a few teachers from my daughters daycare called me (mom) and told me that when my daughter woke up from her nap she had three bug bites on her face. the teacher stated that it was bedbugs. She also stated more then one child was bitten. I took my daughter out for a day. I called my daughter daycare cooperate office. They told me the daycare was cleaned out the night before so I brought my daughter back to the daycare. The teachers called me again and my daughter had numerous bed bugs bites on all over her body. This has been going on since last week until this week. Finally they told me in order to get the daycare cleaned properly I had to go out and get a doctor's note stating my child has been bitten by bed bugs.

1. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

7

Answered . First, get to a doctor right away to have your daughter examined and treated. It will also help to document the incident. Secondly, take pictures of your daughter and the bites. having handled these types of cases, I can tell you that if the bedbug infestation that caused your daughter's condition originated from, and in, the daycare facility, then there is a claim to pursue against them. As Mr. Shah points out, what the value of the claim would be will be dependent on the severity of the bites, your daughter's reaction to them, appearance, and other factors. Contact a personal injury attorney immediately to get a free consultation.

2. Jeffrey Mark Adams

5

Answered . The other attorneys have provided excellent advise. Good luck and I hope your daughter is fine, both physically and emotionally.

3. Zaheer A Shah

Pro

6

Answered . You need to find another daycare. And you need to report the current daycare to the NY Board of Health. A lawsuit requires substantial damages. Bug bites may not suffice.