Can I sue a construction company for a cone that I hit because it was knocked over and not in its designated area?

Asked over 2 years ago - Torrance, CA

I was traveling on the freeway. The carpool lane and adjacent lane were blocked off with cones. I began to merge away from the construction area because of the "blinking arrow." I merged over two lanes away from the construction area. There was a knocked over cone that I could not avoid because of other vehicles. I had no place to go except to hit the cone. Now I have a cracked front bumper, dented fender, and other damage underneath my vehicle. I have two estimates of the damage. The construction company is claiming they were not in that area the night in question. Cal trans is telling me they were. Will I stand a chance in court if i sue the construction company?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

7

Answered . Yes, you could sue but I think this would be a very difficult case to establish liability for your property damage.

If you have collision coverage on your own insurance policy, it makes more sense to make a claim under your own policy and let the insurance carrier file for subrogation.

2. Catherine Elizabeth Bennett

4

Answered . Attorney Chen is correct. If you were not injured, allow your insurance company to deal with this. I hope you made a claim with your insurance company immediately after the incident. If you have not call the carrier right now.

Litigation is expensive. Insurance companies have subrogation agreements and they can handle it between themselves much easier than you can handle it as a lawsuit.

3. Brett A. Borah

1

Answered . You're in the workers' compensation section. Workers' Compensation is for on the job injuries. Were you on the job at the time of this accident? Were you injured? You may be in the wrong section.

4. Pejman Maadani

1

Answered . The answer to that in Texas would be governmental immunity would probably bar your recovery. You need to show gross negligence, which a plastic cone would not qualify as such. Consult a local attorney where you are.