Can I sue a competitor business for using my photo on their website?

Asked 11 months ago - Edinburgh, IN

One of my competitors (in another city) is using one of my photos on the website on their rotating ad banner. Apart from asking them to remove this can i sue or get any compensation for this?

They would have to have bought the picture from our site to get this.

1. Ripal Patel

4

Answered . As my colleague point out, you should send them a letter and demand they remove the picture; you did not give them permission to use your photo. If they fail to remove the picture, you should then hire an IP attorney and pursue legal action against them. You can obtain the ordinary remedies for copyright infringement (including injunctions, actual damages and lost profits).

2. Kendra L. A. Stephen

Pro

3

Answered . You mentioned that the photo is on their ad banner .... The company is advertising their own business on their website? You should contact the company and inform them that you did not give them permission to use your photo and request that the photo be removed or you will pursue the matter in court. If that doesn't work hire a local Copyright Attorney to write a letter requesting the photos removal. If the photo is still up after the letter you can pursue the matter in court.

3. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

2

Answered . You may have a cause of action against the competitor for violating your copyright.

Search avvo for an Intellectual copyright attorney in your local. Most lawyers on Avvo offer a free phone consultation.