Can I sue a competitor business for using my photo on their website?

Edinburgh, IN |

One of my competitors (in another city) is using one of my photos on the website on their rotating ad banner. Apart from asking them to remove this can i sue or get any compensation for this?

They would have to have bought the picture from our site to get this.

You may have a cause of action against the competitor for violating your copyright.

Search avvo for an Intellectual copyright attorney in your local. Most lawyers on Avvo offer a free phone consultation.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

You mentioned that the photo is on their ad banner .... The company is advertising their own business on their website? You should contact the company and inform them that you did not give them permission to use your photo and request that the photo be removed or you will pursue the matter in court. If that doesn't work hire a local Copyright Attorney to write a letter requesting the photos removal. If the photo is still up after the letter you can pursue the matter in court.

The answers provided are of a general nature and are not intended to be final or complete answers of any individual's legal questions. Other facts not considered may change the analysis or outcome. Do not rely on information presented herein to address your individual legal concerns. Your receipt of information from this website does not create an attorney-client relationship and the legal privileges inherent therein. If you have a legal question, you should consult an attorney experienced in that area of the law. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you hire an attorney, you should request information about the attorney's qualifications and experiences. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. Only those persons who have a signed written fee agreement and authority to represent with me is an actual client. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than my educated opinion or viewpoint. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice from an attorney in your area. NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum.

As my colleague point out, you should send them a letter and demand they remove the picture; you did not give them permission to use your photo. If they fail to remove the picture, you should then hire an IP attorney and pursue legal action against them. You can obtain the ordinary remedies for copyright infringement (including injunctions, actual damages and lost profits).

Your particular situation may be different. This answer is intended for information purposes only. No Attorney-Client relationship has been established.

Internet law topics

Recommended articles about Internet law