Can I sue a company if my identity is stolen by a representative of their company?

Miami, FL |

I placed an oder with a company over the phone and the representative that obtained the credit card and necessary information to place the order used that information to place personal, unauthorized charges.

You may have a cause of action, however that is a civil/tort question and you are asking this on a criminal law forum..

Thank you!

You should contact a civil attorney to discuss the company's potential liability.

Thank you! I will do that.

Colleen M. Glenn

Colleen M. Glenn

You're very welcome. If you need help finding someone I'm happy to help you.

I agree with my colleagues, your question would be better posed in a forum other than criminal defense.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for informational purposes. The facts of each case are different and unique, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under attorney-client privilege, so that competent and quality advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions

Thanks I will do that. I appreciate the advice given by all!

The answer is yes. It is a matter of proof. You need to mitigate your damages. You probably want to send an identity theft validation letter to each of the creditors who were tricked. I have a form if you email me. You should also obtain a police report, fill out an FTC identity theft affidavit, and send certified mail return receipt requested disputes to each credit bureau. I have an instructional form for that as well but some of the key items are as follows. If the account was not opened by you, it is someone else’s account, or if you were only an authorized user, you should advise the credit bureau of this fact and ask the credit bureaus to compare your signatures with those of the person who signed the credit application or who signed for the credit. Consider including the credit report itself, account statements, correspondence from the creditor, court papers if available, any falsified documents (if you have them) and any other documentary proof that you don’t owe the money. Some other examples may include letters from the creditor themselves admitting to a mistake, social security cards, driver’s licenses, utility bills, etc. You should enclose a copy of your driver's license which has your current address, photo and signature. The credit bureaus, under the FCRA, have to respond quickly to your fraud claims. You can have an attorney evaluate your case against the company and representative who stole your identity. I have some articles about the FCRA on my website that may be of interest to you. http://www.fortheconsumer.com/article-fair-credit-reporting-act.htm and http://www.fortheconsumer.com/article-williams-v-equifax.htm . I wish you the best in the future.

Disclaimer: The above is intended to give you, the consumer, some insight into various legal topics. This information is not intended as legal advice, but rather an attempt to provide helpful topical information. Please consult a lawyer as to the specific circumstances of your case. Again, this is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. If there are more facts that you overlooked and did not include in your initial question and you would like to email me, you may send an email to stevefahlgren@gmail.com.