Can i sue a company for wrongful termination?

Spokane, WA |

i was terminated because a customer claimed i called him a name after he was involved in an altercation with another employee. i did not. i along with several other employees were asked to write statements about the situation. we were then told our statements would be faxed to our corporate office for further review and a decision to be made. two weeks after the incident i along with another employee were told we were put on "administrative leave" and we would soon be receiving a packet in the mail with further details of our termination. it has been two weeks since i was put on administrative leave still with out receiving info. i decided to call the human resources department, they said i was still showing as an active employee and the corporate office had no knowledge of my termination

1. You can sue anyone for anything; the real issue, is can you win? WA is an at-will state. That means you can be let go at any time for absolutely no reason whatsoever, so long as the reason is not discriminatory, In order to prove discrimination, you need standing as a member of a protected class, which includes elements such as race, gender, disability, etc.

Here there is clearly a disconnect between corporate and the local office, but it is unclear who is making the decision and whether the local office *actually* sent materials to corporate for review. Can they fire you based on what a customer told them? Sure. Can they fire you just because they feel like it? Absolutely.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but there it is. Elizabeth Powell

Using Avvo does not form an attorney client relationship.