CAN I SUE A COLLEGE AFTER BEING SEXUALLY ASSAULTED BY A PROFESSOR WHO WAS FOUND GUILTY OF THIS CRIME?

Asked about 3 years ago - Riverside, CA

While I was a student, I was sexually assaulted by my professor. This case went to trial and he was found guilty. Can I sue the college? Two other women testified that he also assaulted them. They were both separate cases. Those cases happened years before I was assaulted. Can I hold the school accountable for what happened to me?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

Answered . You need to get an attorney now and worry later about whether you will win. The facts are sufficient to support initiating a lawsuit. Let a competent attorney draft and file a complaint and then let the attorneys representing you and the university work through all of the legal issues.

2. Orion Gray Callison III

2

Answered . The short answer is yes, there are a number of theories of recovery you should be able to pursue - particularly if the college was on notice of the professor's prior alleged assaults on other women.

There are, however, quite a few questions that would need to be answered, such as whether the assault occurred on campus, the circumstances of the assault, what the college knew and when, what actions the college took, etc.

You need to speak with an attorney in your jurisdiction as soon as possible to ensure that you take action within the statute of limitations.

3. Michael S. Haber

Pro

1

Answered . There is a doctrine in law called "respondeat superior." It means that the master answers for the wrongdoing of the servant. Usually, if the wrongdoing occurred within the scope of the employment, viacarious liability of the type you suggest will be available. Make sure, however, you act within the time of the applicable statute of limitations.

Good luck to you.