CAN I SUE A CO SIGNER OF A HOME..FOR MONEY HE NEVER PAID..

El Monte, CA |

I BOUGHT A HOME YEARS AGO WITH A CO SIGNER ..SOON AFTER HE LEFT NEVER PAID ANYTHING ..NOW HE COMES BACK AND DEMANDS HALF OF THE HOUSE.. THIS GUY NEVER PUT ANY MONEY IS THERE ANYWAY I CAN FIGHT THIS WITH OUT GIVING HIM A DIME

HE IS IN THE DEED ..BUT I HAVE RECORDS THAT I PAID THE MORGAGE..THIS GUY IS STEALING FROM ME AND HE KNOWS IT...

As a general proposition, co-signing a note does not convey an ownership interest in real property.

If the co-signer's name is not on the deed, he will have a hard time establishing an ownership interest - especially if he has neither resided there nor contributed to the cost of upkeep.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

HE IS IN THE DEED ..WAT WOULD I NEED TO PROVE TO THE COURT

Michael T Millar

Michael T Millar

If he is on the deed, then you are likely tenants in common with each owning a 50% interest. You may be able to claim a credit for carrying costs. You should consult with a local real estate attorney.

Yes. If you cannot resolve the matter on your own, a court can determine each party's interest in the property.

If the co-signor is on title (having ownership interest), you have to go through a partition action to sever the co-signor's interest in the house. Edward C. Ip www.lawyer4property.com

No attorney / client relationship established. The answr is for discussion and general information only. The lawyer had not reviewed any documents or contract prior to the above comments.

CAN U ELABORATE MORE ...THIS GUY IS IN THE DEED..BUT HAS NO RECORDS OF EVER LIVING THERE ..I HAVE RECORDS OF WHO PAID MORGAGE ..

Chi Leung Ip

Chi Leung Ip

You need to file a lawsuit for the judge to sort out each of your interest in the house when you cannot come to any agreements in dividing up the interests in the house.