Can I sue a body shop for needing to have my vehicle repainted because of their poor paint job?

I've been restoring a '57 Chevy and took it to a shop for body work and paint to be completed for around $25,000. I had issues with the paint peeling almost immediately and tried to resolve it with the shop directly but felt like I kept getting the run around. I was just in an auto accident with the vehicle and took it elsewhere for repairs but I've been informed that the vehicle was not prepped or painted right so now the paint is chipping off where they needed to blend the paint. Other areas are starting to peel already that were unrelated to the accident and now including the minor body work I'm looking at as a result of the accident I'm looking at upwards of $11,000 to have the vehicle repainted. I'm concerned because the paint job is only about two years old.

Long Beach, CA -

Jeffrey David Wolf

Jeffrey David Wolf

Personal Injury Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

You can file suit but you may want to consider filing in small claims court to keep costs down. You will need to demonstrate that the body shop was at fault. So, you probably should get a written opinion from another shop to present as evidence.

Kamala Maddipoti

Kamala Maddipoti

Business Attorney - Cupertino, CA

you can also file a complaint with Bureau of Automotive repairs (dept of consumer affairs regarding their faulty work and for possible refund they owe you). Small claims is also your available option.

Larry Alan Apfelbaum

Larry Alan Apfelbaum

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Bloomington, IL

You can sue anyone at anytime. The better question is can you win. To do so you will need testimony from an experienced technican that the original work was not done according to generally accepted standards.

If you file the lawsuit on your own it would be wise to consult with an attorney so he can explain court procedure and if the body shop has an attorney you would be wise to hire one yourself.

Good luck

Kevin Coluccio

Kevin Coluccio

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Seattle, WA

Small claims court is probably your best option. I would, as suggested, get a written opinion from another shop.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Small claims court is an option.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
Richard Andrew Harting

Richard Andrew Harting

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Long Beach, CA

You should proceed to resolve your issue with the body shop that did the paint job. You can sue in small claims for up to $10,000