Can I sue a bar if I broke a bone while on their premises?

San Diego, CA |

The injury was a result of an intoxicated person accidentally knocking over a table.

The bar has a duty to make sure the premises are safe for paying customers. You can sue for damages from the accident, but to be successful, more information about your situation is needed. Some of the things would include more details about how an intoxicated person knocked over a table and why it broke your tooth. In the meantime make sure you seek appropriate medical attention. If you want to file a lawsuit for bodily injury, you must do so before the two year anniversary of the injury or your right to do so will forever be lost.

If you are a potential client, the information you disclose to us by email will be kept in strict confidence and will be protected to the full extent of the law. Please be advised, however, that the Law Offices of Frank M. Nunes, Inc. and its lawyers do not represent you until you have signed a retainer agreement with the firm. Until that time, you are responsible for any statutes of limitations or other deadlines for your case or potential case.

Melanie Renee Harris

Melanie Renee Harris

I agree with Mr. Nunes. However, I would like to add, the sooner your hire a lawyer the better. Everyday that goes by is evidence lost.

Frank Marvin Nunes

Frank Marvin Nunes

This is true. Thank you Ms. Harris for raising this additional point.

I agree with what Mr. Nunes suggests. Speak to an attorney regarding the accident. The claim against the bar depends on a number of facts including whether or not the bar gave alcohol to an already clearly intoxicated person. And, you should make sure to follow up with your medical care.

www.russellandlazarus.com

Consult with an attorney. Be sure to include everything regarding the incident.

Jim

Possibly. I'd need a additional information to better answer your question. Generally speaking, the bar has a duty to exercise ordinary care to make its premises reasonably safe for patrons. The question is, was it foreseeable for the bar to know that its patron would become intoxicated and cause harm? How did this person become intoxicated? At the bar or somewhere else? Did the bar know he was intoxicated and continued to give him drinks? Why and how did the table break? Was there possibly a manufacturing defect? etc. Feel free to give me a call and we can go over what happened in more detail. 1.800.405.1070 ext. 1 or 877-722-8074 ext. 1

All the best to you.

This information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice, nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship.

I agree with what has been said by the other lawyers so far. Something else to consider is whether or not the establishment has medical payments coverage in its liability insurance policy that could be used to help with any medical bills. This type of coverage is available to an individual injured with on the premises without considering fault. Good luck.

Yes, you can sue whoever you want for your broken bone. You could see me if you wanted. But the issue is will you win. You should consult with a local personal injury attorney to discuss if you would likely prevail in your case against the establishment.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I. I am not your lawyer and I am not representing you in the underlying issue stated in your question. The response I have offered is not intended to be relied upon, you should seek out an attorney to assist in this matter.

Perhaps.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.