Can I sue 99c store for having cashier hitting me?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

When I was unloading items from my shopping cart cashier was throwing floor mat in my cart and hit me in my eye. I felt down and I was bleeding he was nice to ask if I am ok, and I ask for ice he said they don't have it my mom gave me ice-cream from freezer. When I was about to pay cashier asked for ice-cream to scan so I can pay for it.Here I am bleeding in pain that was cause by 99 c cashier and he is asking me to pay for ice-cream that I was using as healer. I fill out report went to ER. Got bill for $4000 and 99 c store won't cover it. What can I do?

1. Michael R Crosner

11

Answered . From your description of the accident it the store is liable for the negligence of their employee. You need to contact a California personal injury attorney immediately. I don't know when you accident happened so act quickly. Your medical bills are substantia. I don't know if your injuries caused any permanent damage. You should not have to pay for their negligence. I am sure numerous attorneys on Avvo, including myself, will be happy to discuss your accident without charging a consultation fee. Hope your injuries are not too severe. Best wishes

2. Sean Michael Patrick

10

Answered . Consult a personal injury attorney to evaluate your claim. Generally, an employer can be held liable for the negligent acts of his employee when the employee was in the course and scope of their employment.

3. Robert Bruce Kopelson

8

Answered . Lots of good injury lawyers in SF. You should talk with one asap.

4. Daniel Nelson Deasy

9

Answered . You should indeed seek counsel. I agree with my colleagues.

Pro

9

Answered . Best bet is to discuss with one of the above attorneys.

6. Sagi Shaked

Pro

5

Answered . You may have a case if the employees constitute negligence as opposed to intentional acts. You should seek a consult with a personal injury attorney.

7. Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Pro

1

Answered . you can consult a lawyer and hire them to assist you in pursuing a personal injury action. Do you have any permanent damage or any further medical treatment that will need to be done? Do you have any lost wages?

8. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

2

Answered . You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.