Can I sue a bar for serving me (underage) alcohol and afterwards getting into a car accident?

Asked about 3 years ago - Newark, NJ

I was involved in a very bad car accident due to the bar serving me alcohol to the point were i do not even remember leaving the establishment. The outcome of the car accident was that i was left on critical condition for few days, received surgeries, and i'm still not able to function as i used to. And if I can how long do I have?

Pro

2

2

Best Answer

Answered . Yes, check the dram shop law in your state and you will see.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.
  2. Peter Joseph Lamont

Pro

2

1

Answered . Generally, no. This is because you knew that you were underage. The only way that there could be a claim is if they knew how drunk you were, regardless of your age, and kept serving you.

Regards,

Peter J. Lamont, Esq.
    Law Offices of Peter J. Lamont
    146 Florence Avenue, Hawthorne, NJ 07506
    Phone: (973) 949-3770 Fax: (866) 603-0471
    Toll Free: (855) NJLAW01 (655-2901)
    www.peterlamontesq.com

This e-mail and any documents accompanying this e-mail contain information which is confidential and/or legally privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named on this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail information, is strictly prohibited and that the documents should be returned to the Law Offices of Peter J. Lamont immediately. In this regard, if you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us by return e-mail or telephone (866) 603-0471 immediately, delete the e-mail and all attachments and destroy all hard copies of same.

----- Reply message -----

3. Yolanda Navarrete

2

1

Answered . I believe you may be able to. A new case ruled on a similar issue. The fact that you are a minor protects you further.

The responses to questions here are not legal advice, as the facts are very limited.
  4. Andrew S Blumer

Pro

2

Answered . The short answer, in my evaluation, is that you may pursue a suit against the Bar. The test is essentially whether or not you were visibly intoxicated and they continued to serve you. There are more things to consider than just that alone, but this establishment may be lax in their enforcement of serving alcohol based on your fact pattern.

You have 2 years from the date of the incident. If you are a minor, then you have 2 years from your 18th birthday to pursue this, though if you wish to, you should move on this immediately and preserve evidence.

My practice is statewide. I am civil and criminal trial lawyer. Feel free to call me if you wish to discuss legal representation @ 732.303.6430.

-Andrew S. Blumer, Esq.

5. Daniel Paul Buttafuoco

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with the other attorney.